5:00 PM

Fishing Nets

We were drifting over a seamount area in about 100 feet of water. The dive had been fairly boring and I was down to about 25% of my air supply. I heard the divemaster start hooting and hollering and pointing off into the blue. I looked and could make out a giant manta. At first I was elated. I had seen a few mantas but never one of the true giants. This one was coming straight at me. As it drew closer I noticed the nets. I realized this would be a valuable photo to illustrate the problems of abandoned nets and took a few photos. My picture taking was interrupted when I noticed the Manta was making incredibly close passes. Finally, it swam just in front of and below me and just stopped! It clearly seemed to be trying to get my attention! The Manta was obviosly in trouble so I stopped taking photos and settled down on it's back. The Manta slowed almost to a stop and began to slowly circle with me resting on it's back. I moved my camera to the crook of my arm and got out my little dive knife clipped to by bouyancy compensator. I started to work on cutting away the net. My knife was small and not especially sharp. I had to saw through the net strand by strand. Soon I had the first section off and it fell away! The net had adhered to the leading edge of the Manta. It was basically in four sections. Three remained. I looked around to see if any of the other divers from my boat were coming to help. They were all just watching. I glanced at my air and saw that I was getting low. I returned to work on the net and was able to free the second section, Now the entire left wing of the Manta was freed. I began working on the right side. The Manta continued making slow circles and was descending. This was not good as I was low on air and had little remaining time before I went into decompression status. I finally got the top right section off and removed it. The lower section that remained was going to be harder because of the severe adhesions to the cephalic lobe and the body of the Manta. I cut a few strands of net away before glancing at my dive computer. The manta had carried me down to over 100 feet. I was out of bottom time (actually in deco status) and almost out of air. I had to go or risk running out of air and or getting the bends. Reluctantly, I lifted off the Manta and swam straight to Ingo, the German divemaster who was with me. I indicated I needed to share air so I could do a safety stop. Ingo gave me his spare second stage and I began my safety stop with one eye on my computer and one on the Manta that continued to circle us. I was still hoping another diver would finish removing the net. When my computer indicated I was in the clear I gestured to Ingo that he should try and cut away the remaining section. He decided to give it a try. Ingo approached the Manta and grabbed the remaining section of net. The net became taught and pulled on the Manta's injured flesh. The Manta recoiled in pain and flapped its wings. Ingo was struck by a wingtip and dropped the net. That was enough for him and he did not approach the Manta again. I bobbed on the surface hoping one of the remaining divers would help. Sadly no one else attempted anything. The Manta made a few more passes then gave up and swam off into the gloom. This was a very strange experience. I felt good that I was able to help but was bitterly dissapointed that I could not finish the job. I think of that Manta often and wonder if he made it. One thing I am sure of is that the Manta approached us with the intent of getting help. It swam straight to us and presented itself to us as if it were at a cleaning station. It actually presented it's back to me. This is very unusual. To me these were clear signs of intelligence and rational behavior. I had always loved Mantas but had never considered that they could be so intelligent. Now there is considerable new information showing that Mantas are extremely intelligent. They can remember divers from year to year and can reognize human faces. It makes it even more sad when we see tham slaughtered senslessly or caught in some abandoned net. I had always dreamed of riding a giant Manta. When my chance came, I couldn't really enjoy it because I had a task to focus on and safety concerns as well. It was no joyride but I will never forget that day. Sorry about the length but I thought this was an interesting story. Currently listed as the most interesting photo tagged with "Manta"

Fishing net - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  Fishing nets are meshes usually formed by knotting a relatively thin thread. ... The Chinese fishing nets (Cheena vala) are used at Kochi in India. ...

Fishing Nets  Midlake Nets 24" Scoop Standard Wading Net $13.19 ... All Fishing Nets Products. Shimano Tour at FTU. Wading East Galveston. FTU brings you Flip Pallot ...

Memphis Net and Twine - Custom Commercial Fishing Nets, Sports Nets ...  Memphis Net and Twine manufacturers custom commercial fishing nets, sports nets, & industrial netting. Our staff of skilled net makers have years of experience ...

FishnetCo - Custom Nets, Sports Nets, Fishing Nets, Batting Cages and ...  FishnetCo produces all types of netting used in sports nets, commercial fishing nets, custom nets and netting as well as other sporting and fishing related products.

Fishing net - New World Encyclopedia  Fishing nets are made of mesh usually formed by knotting a relatively thin thread. ... A variety of fishing nets have been developed since antiquity. ...

Fishing Nets Manufacturers & Fishing Nets Suppliers  ... Nets Suppliers. Find a Fishing Nets manufacturer or Fishing Nets supplier. ... Home > Products > Search : Fishing Nets 5,211 Products ...

''' -Florid Net''''s Store - Fish Nets and Nautical'''  ''' Buy Florida Fish Net,Fishing Nets And Nautical Decor,Commercial Netting For Fishing,Sports,Garden,Birds,Pool,Ponds,Golf,Soccer,Baseball,Gill Net,Cages,Hockey, ...

Fishing net: Information from Answers.com  ... and related words. The noun fishing net has one meaning: Meaning #1 : ... Fishing nets are meshes usually formed by knotting a relatively thin thread. ...


Putting a fishingnet under the ice is a lot of work, but once you've got the net in place, you can keep it there all the winter: You can empty it every day and even substitute it with a clean net when needed, without having to do the whole job from the beginning, if you always keep a cord under the ice where the net is supposed to be.I had some problems with the camera, so I had to mix two different takes to get the different stages of the procedure. Even so, I missed some, like the making of the basic holes in the ice in the beginning and in the place where the red board stopped, but I think anyone can figure that out anyway, so it shouldn't matter that much.Anyway, if there is something that you don´t understand, you can always ask me, and I'll answer the best I can.

Fly Fishing Gear - Fly Fishing Accessories - Fishing Nets  Buy your own fishing nets, today, from us at Super Flyfishing. ... excellent fly fishing gear, including fishing nets, waders, fishing vests, and other great gear. ...

Fishing Nets Rubber Landing Nets Ranger Nets  Landing nets, casting nets by Ranger and Pacific Fly Group at Steve's Fishing Supplies. ... Closeouts Fly Fishing Downriggers Rods Reels Combos Line Lures Gifts ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment